Friday, March 20, 2015

Well, Isn't She Just So Cute

I turned 34 at the beginning of March. Yes, I know I look young and it doesn't help the situation that I often act young. Always flashing a smile, making innocent jokes at work, and even exhibiting a child-like enthusiasm for many different events. I am also the mascot for the non-profit were I work. I have a growing collection of baseball bobble heads all over my office. To top it all off I have chubby cheeks. I still have people that ask to pinch them. So in a culture so obsessed with looking youthful, one might ask, "what is the big deal? Poor you". Right!? Well, at an area business association meeting I attended recently, in the middle of a conversation about helping one of my clients get employed, the employer turns to my co-worker (who is older than I) and says, "Well isn't she just the cutest thing!" Like she is my mother and it was bring your daughter to work day. I flashed my smile and because we wanted her to hire our client, I said nothing more. But really!!??! Thanks lady for making me feel like all my training, education, and experience means dick! I know, I just know, that in the past this was one of the reason's I had such a hard time finding work out of grad school. When you look like you're twelve, no one is going to believe that you are capable of leading people or gaining their respect. I guess I never expected to still have to deal with this at 34.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home